WHAT WE BELIEVE
Business has a responsibility to protect the environment in which it operates, both locally and globally. It's not rocket science: everything we do is conditional on keeping the planet's thin biosphere livable. We all need to lift our game in order to meet the challenge of climate change. Being a sustainable business isn't optional anymore.
We use environmentally sustainable resources wherever technically possible and economically viable. Some of our recent initiatives include:
- Since October 2011 our new and newly refitted stores utilise LED lighting which is dramatically improving our energy efficiency.
- 100% of the unmodified palm oil used in The Body Shop products has been certified sustainable by the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO). Our supplier, is based in New Britain, Papua New Guinea. By advocating for others to only use sustainable palm oil we are helping to address severe environmental emergencies around the world. This includes deforestation, climate change and the survival of endangered species for example the Borneo Orangutan.
- All of our products are 100% vegetarian.
- All of our wood products and shop fit cabinetry are from a Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) approved source. We reuse old cabinetry where possible.
- The Wood Positive initiative will see all products made from paper and
card carry the Wood Positive logo, which represents the commitment of
The Body Shop International of going that extra mile and making a
positive impact on the environment.
- Minimal packaging and use of recycled materials. Some of our new PET bottles contain 100% recycled plastic. This means we prevent millions of new plastic bottles having to be made every year.
PROTECT OUR PLANET VALUES PARTNERS
The Australian Conservation Foundation (ACF) has a vision for a prosperous society in which the principles of ecological sustainability, social justice and human wellbeing are embedded in Australia’s decision-making processes, in government, in business practices and in our culture. They base this vision of sustainability and prosperity on respect and care for our environment, for our cultures, for each other and for future generations. www.acfonline.org.au
Australian Conservation Foundation
Clean Up Australia
Conservation Volunteers Australia
Friends of the Earth
Green Electricity Watch
Palm Oil Action Group
Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil